Makeup artist Ana Allen shares pro advice on how to bring out your natural beauty this year
Here are my top tips for keeping your skin fresh and beautiful...
1. Identify your skin type
To build your perfect beauty routine, start by identifying your skin type and cleanse regularly using products that are designed for it. Many skin-care frustrations come from using products that aren't designed for your skin type. Using the wrong products doesn’t just mean you don’t get the results you want—it can actually damage the appearance and texture of your skin, as well as cause unwanted breakouts.
How to identify your skin type
- If your T-zone and other parts of your face feel moist, then you have oily skin.
- If your T-zone feels moist but other parts of your face feel rough and dry, you have combination skin.
- If your entire face feels supple and moisturized, you have normal skin.
- If you feel rough patches or if your skin stings a little after minimal exposure outside, then you have dry/sensitive skin.
2. Discover your skin tone
melecisBy identifying your skin type, you are one step closer to revealing your already beautiful skin at its best. The next step is to identify your skin tone, which will help you choose the right makeup colours for you.
There are three underlying skin tones
- If the base tone of your skin is yellow or gold, you have a warm skin tone.
- If you see hints of blue, pink or red, then you have a cool skin tone.
- If you have a mixture of both warm and cool hues, or your undertone is the same as your actual skin colour, then you fall into the neutral skin tone category.
3. Determine your texture
alexandr_1958 The last step is to identify your skin's texture and pick a foundation designed for it. The best foundation for you will balance the needs of your particular skin type and skin concerns, as well as match your skin colour perfectly.
- For oily skin, opt for a mattifying foundation. These are generally a safe choice for covering blemish-prone skin.
- For combination skin, choose a weightless, oil-free, light, creamy texture, which will help minimize pores. Bonus: It also works for most other skin types.
- For normal skin, choose a sheer glow texture foundation to show off that beautiful complexion.
- For sensitive and dry skin, choose a fluid, soothing formula filled with hydration. A good option is a BB cream, which also provides sun protection.